1. Our commitment to privacy
Personal information means information or opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
Where practicable, we will deal with you anonymously or under a pseudonym. However, due to the nature of our products and services, where you do not wish to provide us with your Personal Information, we may not be able to provide you with the products or services you require or an appropriate level of service.
We collect and hold Personal Information that is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, one or more of our functions or activities.
4. Our purposes for handling your Personal Information
We collect, hold, use and disclose Personal Information to:
· give you the ability to access and use our Website;
· establish your account with us a registered user;
· where you have given your express consent, provide updates regarding the progress of your property sale to our corporate partner who referred you to us;
· provide you with products and services;
· enable you to access information about us and our products and services;
· refer you to providers of products and services related to your property listing, leasing and/or sale;
· promote products and services related to your property listing, leasing and/or sale;
· comply with our legal and regulatory obligations; and
· otherwise manage our business.
5. Types of Personal Information we collect
We usually obtain Personal Information directly from our users and customers via our Website by telephone and from maintaining records of information provided in the course of ongoing customer service.
When we provide you with products and services
To provide products and services to you, the Personal Information that we collect includes your name, address, property details, email address and phone number.
When you browse our Website
You do not have to give us any information in order to simply browse on our Website.
However, we may need to collect certain details from you if, for example, you wish to establish an account as a registered user.
When you use our Website
To use our Website (beyond simply browsing), you may need to provide us information such as your name, address, property details, email address, phone number and other contact details. You may also be required to provide further information to allow us to tailor our services.
We may collect information about how you use our Website to assist us to provide you with more tailored services, and to enable us to develop and improve our services.
When you use our Website, the information we may collect may include:
· the functions you have used;
· how you have shared your content;
· third party content you have received;
· advertisements you have clicked on; and
· third party websites you have access to via our Website.
We may also collect information from the devices and networks that you use to access our Website to help us develop and secure our services. The information we may collect can include:
· the internet protocol (IP) address of your computer of the proxy server that you use to access the internet;
· your computer operating system;
· your type of web browser;
· your mobile device;
· your mobile operating system; and
· the name of your ISP or your mobile carrier.
We obtain some of this information from third party analytics companies whom we have allowed to access a de-identified database in order to provide us with this information.
6. How we handle your Personal Information
We will collect and hold your Personal Information in a fair and lawful manner, and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. Where it is reasonably practical to do so, we will collect your Personal Information directly from you. However, in certain cases we will collect your Personal Information from third parties, including from our corporate partners, our related companies and publically available sources.
We may collect the Personal Information you directly give us through some of the following means:
· when completing the process for establishing an account as a registered user;
· from our account opening forms and other related correspondence;
· when you make an application for, or sign our agreement for, the provision of our products or services;
· when you request any information regarding our products or services in person, by phone or via our Website;
· while conducting customer satisfaction and market research surveys;
· whilst administering any of our services;
· when you enter any promotions or competitions we run from time to time; and
· as otherwise required to manage our business.
We may collect your Personal Information automatically through some of the following means:
· we may receive location data passed to us from third party services or GPS-enabled devices you have set up;
· we may collect information about how you use our Website to assist us to provide you with more tailored services and to enable us to develop and improve our services;
· we may also collect information from the devices and networks that you use to access our Website to help us develop and secure our services; and
· we may use 'cookies' to store and sometimes track information about you, but only on an anonymous basis.
7. Use and disclosure of Personal Information
We will only use and/or disclose your Personal Information in accordance with the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles.
The primary purposes for which we use and disclose your Personal Information include:
· giving you the ability to access and use our Website;
· establishing your account with us a registered user;
· verifying your identity;
· providing updates to your financial institution regarding the progress of your property sale;
· providing you with our products or services;
· providing you with information in relation to the use of our products or services;
· providing quality assurance for our products and services;
· providing you with information available on our Website;
· maintaining user records;
· administering and managing our products or services, including charging, billing and collecting debts;
· responding to your enquiries and feedback regarding our business, our products and our services;
· referring you to providers of products and services related to your property listing, leasing and/or sale;
· promoting products and services related to your property listing, leasing and/or sale;
· complying with government legislation and regulations; and
· internal management purposes, complaint handling, planning, quality assurance and audit purposes.
Specific examples of third parties to whom we may disclose Personal Information include:
· real estate agents that we invite to tender for your property listing, leasing and/or sale;
· where you have given your express consent, our corporate partner who referred you to us;
· where you have given your express consent, providers of finance products or services (to the extent you have expressed an interest for information relating to property related lending, refinancing and / or insurance solutions)
· providers of products and services related to your property listing, leasing and/or sale (including providers of conveyancing, removals and storage, utilities reconnection, cleaning and repairs and maintenance services);
· our related companies;
· our third party service providers (such as our third party providers of backup and data storage services, content services, website hosting services, marketing services, market research and analytical services, distribution and mailing services);
· our third party providers of software and services which incorporated in, or integrated or linked with, our Website;
· any purchaser or potential purchaser of our business or assets;
· our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers; and
· government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law.
We may also use and disclose your Personal Information we collect for a secondary purpose. A secondary purpose is one which is related to the primary purpose of collection. Some of the secondary purposes for which we may use your Personal Information include:
· promoting and marketing our products and services to you;
· product and service development;
· customer and market research; and
· keeping you informed of any changes to our business, products and services or other offerings that may be of interest to you.
We will not use or disclose your Personal Information for any other purpose unless you have consented to that use or disclosure.
We may use your Personal Information, including your contact details, to provide you with information about products and services, including those of third parties, which we consider may be of interest to you.
We will not disclose your Personal Information to third parties for marketing purposes.
You may opt out at any time if you no longer wish to receive direct marketing information from us. You can make this request by contacting our Privacy Officer.
8. Transfers of Personal Information overseas
We do not intentionally, and are unlikely to, disclose your Personal Information to overseas recipients.
You have a right to access your Personal Information. We will generally provide it to you but in some cases where and to the extent permitted by law, we may refuse access to some or all of that information. In those circumstances we will provide reasons.
To make a request, you will need to obtain and complete an application form verifying your identity and specifying what information you require. You should contact our Privacy Officer on 1300 243 687 or to make a request.
10. Accuracy and corrections
We will take reasonable steps to ensure your Personal Information is accurate, complete and up to date. If you believe that any Personal Information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up to date, then please contact our Privacy Officer on 1300 243 687 or .
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure your Personal Information is kept secure.
We maintain appropriate physical, procedural and technical security for our offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, or modification of Personal Information. This also applies to disposal of Personal Information.
In addition, we protect Personal Information by restricting access to those people who need access to do their job.
12. Resolving personal information concerns
The Privacy Officer
Real Estate Agent Select Limited
Suite 16, 574 Plummer Street, Port Melbourne, VIC, 3207, Australia
Phone: 1300 243 687
Once a complaint has been lodged, the Privacy Officer will respond to you as soon as possible. We will endeavour to respond to any complaints received within 30 days.
You may also lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by telephone: 1300 363 992 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The last update to this document was on 27 July 2021.